Monday 22 October 2012

Body modifications and baked, breakfast treats.

Now, I'm all for body modifications. I believe the body is a one's own form of expression. I can't say I'm not part of the 'body mod' trend, with a collection of piercings and tattoos (Hell, planning on back suspension too), so I feel like a hypocrite writing this so, help me god.

Check this out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/bagel-head-forehead-injections-japan-saline_n_1916188.html

Bagel heads are absurd. I actually checked out a video of how the process of applying silicone to the forhead and indenting a hole in it, it was disturbing to day the least. The best part was hearing a Japanese girl on stage calling it 'Kawaii'(word for 'cute' in Japanese). Kind of repulsed, not gonna lie. Hey, maybe that will be the new 'hip' things kids will be doing in a few years and I'll be the nagging grandmother saying how hideous my grandkids look with 'bagel-heads'.

Aside from this... bizarre news, Kevin provided a great selection of artists' visual blogs. For example, I very much enjoyed the work of Michael Cina (http://cinaart.com) and Terence Hannum (http://terencehannum.com/home.html).

Michael Cina creates beautiful abstract work with the exploration of different mediums, some I had actually never even heard of! The works that captivated my attention greatly were done on Giclee, which in simpler words is a term created in 1991 by printmaker Jack Duganne for fine art digital prints reproduced with inkjet printers. The way Cina uses the Giclee technique creates such an organic, abstract piece with the use of an inkjet printer. It is so evident to see the artist's hand, as if he made it directly on paper... but it's done on an inkjet printer, Mind. Blown.

(The fact that I am so captivated by a printer doing this shows how classical and old-fashioned I am with my work, huh? Should change that.)

Also, Hannum's work struck me as well, not as much as Cina's but I enjoyed his technique. Terence Hannum's drawings are done on a black background and white figures and abstractions on it. I have been a fan of this method for years so, I was brought towards it by his employment of black and white as his only palette. I dig that.

Well, that is all for this post. Time to think of how horrifying body modifications could be in a (hopefully not) near future.

Cheers!

Bettina

No comments:

Post a Comment