Wednesday 3 October 2012

Andrew Ohanesian’s House Party

((Based on: This article))

Well, that was perplexing.

I find it ingenious someone would consider a 'typical suburban American houseparty' a sculptural piece. When I began reading this article, I thought 'Oh, is this some kind of excuse to throw a party in the artworld?', but as I kept on reading a sense of understanding this as a more nostalgic work set in.

I never experienced this to be honest. I grew up in Puerto Rico until I moved to college, there is no such thing as suburban house parties (under the pretext of those typical ones a sector of American's throw) there, and if there were...I didn't find them. I rarely went out in high school, I was a bit of a shut in there so this concept is a little foreign to me. Yet, I can sympathize with the sense of nostalgia for those that actually experienced these house parties back in their awkward teenage years.

The big question on this article is "Is there such thing as a fake party?". And to be honest, as intricate as I find this question, after reading this article I'd have to say no, I don't believe there is. This sculptural piece recreated what would spark a sense of nostalgia or a sense of fascination with it's viewers, depending on their life experiences. It was set for a party to happen, for a gathering of people to come together and share this experience together. That, I believe is a party and, despite it being 'staged' real social encounters, experiences, conversations, etc. were had.

Still, very fascinating. I wish I could have gone!

-Bettina

No comments:

Post a Comment