Monday 24 September 2012

'Friends of Friends' at the Weeknight Gallery

I admit, I withhold certain cynicism within the art world; there are some things I can respect, yes, but I will not feel obliged to say I agree and like them.

'Friends of Friends' is a group show of, what the name entails, friends of friends, of friends. The exhibit combined extremely different works of 22 artists of the same generation (some without formal training or craft)and exhibited them in the same space. What I found most fascinating of this exhibit was the difference between one work and another, yet it was also what I found less enjoyable.

The interesting factor of combining works of different artists, yet all belonging to the same generation, is to see the variety within them. There is the bad habit of generalizing a generation's motifs and placing their 'tendencies' in an undiverse pile. In 'Friends of Friends' there exists a variety of works containing satire, abstractionism and representation, among others. The amount of contrast between these artists fights the uneducated approach of generalizing the art and interests of a specific generation.

Yet, within this vast and extremist approach to diversity, I must state it produces deep discomfort within me. To combine such different styles, subject matters, artistic knowledge and technique provides a rather unorganized aesthetic and flow to the show. And, within contrasting works of art, there are some I believe hold themselves higher than others.

That being said, I think it's great to have a collaboration of different artists to put up one show, yet, in all honesty, it's something difficult to 'pull off' well.

Hoorah! Bettina.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are dissatisfied with the exhibition because you are expecting something that the show itself does not promise - a sort of governing taste by which the show is organized. Instead, all the meaning is in the title, "Friends of Friends."

    BUT, I would argue that the problem is that this title is used as though it is unusual for a show to be organized based on people knowing each other, when in fact, many times in the art world it's all about who you know. Especially with established artists and curators, who have often known each other for years and worked together many times.

    To take it one step further: when I was told I'd be able to teach this class, the school told me what my budget was and wished me good luck. How do you think I got us into these studios and print shops?

    ReplyDelete